
It's Våffeldagen today! Our family started celebrating this fun Swedish holiday a few years ago.
I am of German-Russian and Swedish heritage. I grew up knowing a lot about my German roots and was very proud of being a German from Russia. I spoke German with my grandparents, ate Volga-German food, and heard many stories from the old country. I didn't know a lot about my Swedish roots. In fact, I heard so many jokes about "Ole and Lena" (and nothing positive about Swedes) that I was embarrassed to be Swedish. Over the last 3 years I have been learning more about my Swedish heritage and culture, and I've found that I love it! I've met some distant cousins from Sweden and they are awesome. Now I am also proud to be a Swedish-American as well. So please don't try to tell me an "Ole and Lena" joke. I won't laugh. I'm sure I've heard them all anyways.
In Sweden, Waffle Day is celebrated on March 25, called Vårfrudagen (Our Lady’s Day). It is associated with the day Mary received the message that she would give birth to Jesus.
So, what does this have to do with waffles? Vårfrudagen was in some dialects pronounced Vafferdagen, and later it became Våffeldagen (Waffle Day). And so every March 25, people in Sweden get out their waffle irons and bake light, crispy waffles, most often enjoyed with jam and whipped cream.
So, what does this have to do with waffles? Vårfrudagen was in some dialects pronounced Vafferdagen, and later it became Våffeldagen (Waffle Day). And so every March 25, people in Sweden get out their waffle irons and bake light, crispy waffles, most often enjoyed with jam and whipped cream.


No comments:
Post a Comment